Ever since steam allowed to add non steam games to it that it become my gaming hub having all my games there ready to be launched.
There’s many ways to add blizzard games to steam, but I’ve made bnetlauncher to be the simplest method while retaining the benefits of automatic login.
- Extract the included exe to any location you want (ex: steam folder)
- Add the exe to steam as a non-steam game shortcut
- On the shortcut properties open Set Launch Options… and add one of the following codes:
|wow||World of Warcraft|
|wowclassic||World of Warcraft Classic|
|wowptr||World of Warcraft Public Test Realm|
|d3ptr||Diablo 3 Public Test Realm|
|owptr||Overwatch Public Test Realm|
|hots||Heroes of the Storm|
|w3||Warcraft 3: Reforged|
|codbo4||Call of Duty: Black Ops 4|
|codmw2019||Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)|
|codmw2crm||Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered|
|codbocw||Call of Duty: Back Ops Cold War|
The result should look something like this:
Additionally, can also use Change Icon to use the icon of the game you’re adding. If you’re still unsure how it should work you can watch a video bellow of bnetlauncher in action:
Note: Destiny 2 has moved to steam on the 1st of October.
In case of problems logging can be enabled by creating a enablelog.txt file inside
%localappdata%\madalien.com\bnetlauncher\, you can open the location by pasting the path into explorer or the run dialog in windows (WinKey+R)
- Launching WoW Classic and PTR version of game depends on the client gaining focus for bnetlauncher to send a keypress to it so it will launch the game. Not letting the Battle.net client gain focus will break the functionality.
- Slow computers might take too long causing to bnetlauncher to think something went wrong, see additional options on how to use –timeout to fix it.
- Enabling multiple instances of battle.net client in it’s options might break bnetlauncher functionality.
- Users of MSI Afterburner, Fraps and other overlay software might experience crashes do to incompatibility with their own overlay and steam’s, to solve the issue disable the 3rd party application overlay.
- The game, bnetlauncher and steam must all have the same running permissions to work properly, this means if one of them is running has Administrator/Elevated Permissions, then all of them must also be run has Administrator/Elevated Permissions.
- It’s not possible to automatically launch games with a specific region set. The client provides no direct option to do this, however a workaround can be done by creating a new game entry and the nolaunch option and manually selecting the region before clicking play.
- Battle.net client “ads” will interfere with the PTR and WoW Classic wow launch, when it happens user will need to press the play button manually to continue the game launch.
- Default launching the client trough a scheduled task may be incompatible with some setups, workaround is provided with
- Starting multiple copies of Startcraft Remastered may cause bnetlauncher to show an error since the game only allows one instance to be run at the same time.
- There’s no built in routine to clean up the log files if they pile up (logging is disabled by default)
There’s also the following additional options provided by command line switches:
--timeout <seconds>, -t <seconds>changes how many seconds it tries to look for the game before giving an error (15 seconds by default).
--notask, -nstarts the launcher directly instead of trying to use a scheduled task
--leaveopen, -lleaves the client open after launcher the game. If combined with
--notaskoption it will show you as playing on steam until you close the client.
To remove all traces of bnetlauncher from your system:
- type ‘Task Scheduler’ in start menu and open it, expand library and delete bnetlauncher folder to remove the tasks used to start the client
%localappdata%\madalien.comin start menu and open the folder, delete bnetlauncher folder to remove log and gamedb.ini files
- Windows 7 SP1 or above (Only really tested on Windows 10)
- .Net Framework 4.7.2 (included in Windows 10 April 2018 Update [Version 1803] or above). Download link: https://www.microsoft.com/net/download/dotnet-framework-runtime
internet coder Maruf for ghost tray icon fix code github Ethan-BB for the new parameters to launch games on battle.net.
github RobFreiburger and iMintty for Starcraft Remastered and Destiny 2 support respectively.
/u/fivetwofoureight for creating and allowing me to use his icon. /u/malecden, Maverick, /u/sumphatguy and others for their help pointing out bugs.